Homemade Dryer Sheets (DIY Fabric Softeners)

How to make your own fabric softener sheets

A great way to reduce spending is to make your own cleaning and laundry supplies. This week I experimented with something when I ran out of dryer sheets. I did not have any coupons and I was NOT going to pay full price for dryer sheets. So out of this need came this idea.
You will need:

• washcloths/ dishcloths
  • fabric softener of choice
  • bowl

How to make dryer sheets?

1. Place your cloths in the bowl spaced out.
  2. Pour a small amount of fabric softener on the cloths (You only need a little on each)
  3. Rub the fabric softener into each cloth very well
  4. Hang from a high dry place to let dry
  5. Once dry throw one into the dryer with your clothes
  6. Clothes come out fresh with no residue!
  7. Cloths should last a few washes

This also makes a fabulous air freshener! As the washcloths hang to dry the smell of the softener fills the air.
For those looking for a more natural option a great alternative to fabric softener is white vinegar. I use this as a fabric softener all the time. For the washer pour it in at the rinse cycle or pour in the fabric softener dispenser. Don’t worry your clothes will NOT smell like vinegar! But they will be very soft and fresh!

About Heather Brummett

I am Heather Brummett , the owner of Living on Love and Cents, a Christian, wife and mom of 2 sharing real life experiences. I'm am a Texan, living in Louisiana. I'm a real mom, sharing my real life experiences with the world. Thank you for being a part of my world. To be featured or for information on freelance work contact me at livingonloveandcents@gmail.com.

Comments

1. Great idea! I am going to try it

2. Nikki Field says:

What a great idea, can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

3. Wendy Pence says:

This is a great idea. I may give this a try the next time I run out of fabric softener sheets! :0)

4. Janene Scarborough says:

Pretty smart idea~ Now I need to try this out!

5. Lauren R says:

Oh this is too awesome. I’m going to try this for sure!

6. Patricia Mohl says:

Such a good idea

7. Kathleen Conner says:

What a clever idea..It seems like you could easily make hypo-allergenic dryer sheets this way.

8. CARMEN says:

can you use apple cider vinegar or red wine etc instead of white?

9. I have a question…can you use the vinegar to soak the fabric cloths? Because my front-loader bleach dispenser is broken, I have no way to add vinegar to the wash.

10. Amanda McMannes says:

Now that I’m a SAHM and we can’t afford for me to work with 3 kids I’m trying to find ways to save $. This looks awesome. After the 4 washes do IjIjust resoak and redry? When should I wash them? I hope these don’t sound stupid. Lol. Thank you! Amd thank you for sharing this!

Trackbacks

1. [...] can be taught “new tricks”. :-)  When I saw this idea from Heather at Living On Love and Cents recently I decided it was worth trying something [...]

2. […] dog”…I can be taught “new tricks”.  When I saw this idea from Heather at Living On Love and Cents I decided it was worth trying something […]