Homemade Dryer Sheets ( DIY Laundry Sheets)

Posted on Nov 10 2011 - 3:41pm by Heather Brummett

How to make your own fabric softener sheets

A great way to reduce spending is to make your own cleaning and laundry supplies. This week I experimented with something when I ran out of dryer sheets. I did not have any coupons and I was NOT going to pay full price for dryer sheets. So out of this need came this idea.
You will need:

• washcloths/ dishcloths
  • fabric softener of choice
  • bowl

How to make dryer sheets?

1. Place your cloths in the bowl spaced out.
  2. Pour a small amount of fabric softener on the cloths (You only need a little on each)
  3. Rub the fabric softener into each cloth very well
  4. Hang from a high dry place to let dry
  5. Once dry throw one into the dryer with your clothes
  6. Clothes come out fresh with no residue!
  7. Cloths should last a few washes

This also makes a fabulous air freshener! As the washcloths hang to dry the smell of the softener fills the air.
For those looking for a more natural option a great alternative to fabric softener is white vinegar. I use this as a fabric softener all the time. For the washer pour it in at the rinse cycle or pour in the fabric softener dispenser. Don’t worry your clothes will NOT smell like vinegar! But they will be very soft and fresh!

1. amy hollingsworth November 10, 2011 at 8:37 pm - Reply

I would like to invite you to come over and link up at Couponing & Reviewing in Texas’ 1st Hopping for your Honey Valentine’s Day Giveaway Blog Hop

2. Mary Harris November 10, 2011 at 8:59 pm - Reply

Thank you for the great tip on Fabric softener sheets. Going to try this.

3. bailey November 10, 2011 at 9:47 pm - Reply

im a new follower from hop along friday, i hope you can follow me back at
    thanks

4. Lorrie (pinklady705) November 10, 2011 at 10:15 pm - Reply

Thanks for the tips!!!!

5. Katherines Corner November 11, 2011 at 8:54 am - Reply

wonderful!!!!! xo

6. Laura November 11, 2011 at 10:10 am - Reply

Following, from Hop Along Friday :)

7. Bargain GAB November 11, 2011 at 11:01 am - Reply

I’m a new follower – thanks for the hop! You can find me at http://www.bargaingab.com.

8. Kelley November 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm - Reply

Thanks for hosting the Friday Blog Hop. I enjoyed the tips and info here and look forward to your posts since I am now a follower. =) When you get a chance stop by http://inkelleyskitchen.blogspot.com for recipes, cooking, entertaining, food storage ideas, & More! Have a great weekend!
    ~Kelley

9. Sheralle Douglas December 3, 2011 at 6:38 pm - Reply

What a great idea because I always think I some when it turns out that I don’t. I am going to have to try this out, it will definitely be useful.

10. Sarah L March 8, 2012 at 6:19 pm - Reply

I like the vinegar use.

11. Toni Allen March 9, 2012 at 10:52 pm - Reply

great idea thanks i will have to try this
    tmarie56@hotmail.com

12. CaySedai March 18, 2012 at 2:26 pm - Reply

My mother-in-law used to use sponges soaked in fabric softener – she cut the sponges in half and used a half each time. I haven’t tried it since the early days of my marriage, so I don’t remember how well it worked. But I’ll have to give it a try.

13. Phyllis March 7, 2013 at 5:01 pm - Reply

I have a question about the vinegar method. Will it reduce static? I used the dryer balls, but went back to fabric sheets because of static cling.