DIY: Microwave Popcorn in a Paper Bag (Cheap & Easy )

The other night I wanted popcorn and found that we were out of oil. Yes I have one of those unhealthy round popcorn poppers that requires oil. :) So my daughter and I got creative. Here is what we got together:

1 lunch paper bag
Scotch tape
1/4 cup pop corn
bowl

Then followed these SIMPLE and FAST steps!
1. Poor 1/4 cup popcorn in the paper bag
2. Fold the open end of the paper bag about 1/2 in – 1 in down.
3. Tape the folded piece down well
4. Place in the microwave for 2 mins. NOTE: Your microwave may be different. Watch and listen for when the pops are down to 1 every second or so.
5. Remove and shake
6. Quickly poor into bowl
7. Add your toppings if you want.
8. ENJOY!
My daughter and I LOVED doing this! Cheap. Easy & FUN!
About Heather Brummett

I am Heather Brummett , the owner of Living on Love and Cents, a Christian, wife and mom of 2 sharing real life experiences. I'm a Texan who loves to talk and laugh. I offer social media management, consultations, guest writing, and guest speaking. To be featured or for information on freelance work contact me at livingonloveandcents@gmail.com.

Comments

1. Jessica Patrick says:

Wow this is a great idea; thanks for the tip!

2. I have school lunch bags around just for this purpose. It really does work quite well.

3. Michelle Hayden says:

I had no idea you could do this! I can’t wait to give it a try…we are popcorn fanatics! Thanks for the idea! :)

4. i always wondered if you could d that! lol, wtg!

5. My son loves popcorn we just tried this and he thought it was to cool. You made his week! He is more excited than probably his christmas present! lol! Thanks for this idea! Merry Christmas to you and your family! :)

6. Monica Tompkins (@MnJSponsoredWed) says:

I had to pin this so I don’t lose it!

7. LeAnn Boehne says:

I never would have thought to do that. Popcorn is my favorite snack and I have a “ton” of lunch bags. Time to give this a try.

8. Heidi Dean says:

This is fabulous, the kids will love it!! Thanks.

9. Susan Bryant says:

Thank you for posting this! I would have never thought of trying this!!!

10. Zenaida says:

This is a great idea! I will try it this weekend!

11. For those who don’t use microwaves, it’s also easy to do in a pot on the stove. You can do a lot at a time. You can see a recipe at simplyrecipes.com
    ZuZu

12. Sleek Bimmer says:

Great idea and a lot healthier than using oil.
    December 28–Happy Birthday Heather–Your life is a gift to the rest of the world.

13. Great tip! I would have been worried about the tape in the microwave… not sure why, but it didn’t go all melty or explode? Lol. Love the frugal tip. Thanks!

14. Gina Nuzio says:

Thank you for this tip! We love popcorn in my house. I can’t wait to try this! Thanks. :-)

15. tammy dodson says:

great idea my husband loves popcorn

16. What a great idea! MY husband and I were talking today about trying it out in a wok with some oil

17. Cheryl Rahkonen says:

My husband and I were discussing whether you could pop popcorn in just a paperbag – it looks like we found our answer. I am definitely going to do this. I am sure it is much cheaper than buying microwave popcorn. Thanks!

18. Robin O says:

You are so resourceful! And that is much more frugal than buying microwave popcorn bags. Thank you!

19. I love this! I can’t wait to try it!

20. Lorrie (pinklady705) says:

Wow, I always wondered if this would work or not. It has to be a money saver and a calorie saver too.

21. Good to know. We have a bag of boy scout popping corn that I haven’t used yet, I will try it in the microwave!

22. Tammy D says:

I had no idea you could make popcorn in a paperbag like that, I know what ill be doing from now on, thanks for the great idea.

23. Avon Shay says:

Wow, I am so surprise that Scotch tape can be use in the microwave. This is a great idea and more economical than buying microwaveable popcorn. Thanks so much for the tip!

24. Leann Lindeman says:

I am going to try this!!!