Giving On Cents : Using What You Have

Posted on Jan 26 2012 - 12:02pm by Heather Brummett

Hey All! Do you often ask yourself how can my family give to others when we’re pretty tight on Money ourselves? Well the answer is you can! You just have to look around you and see that there are opportunities right in your own home for everyone in your family to give. For example

Hotcouponworld.com /Foter

If you have an at home Stockpile and you fear something may go bad before your family can get to eating it you can donate items to your local church food bank or homeless shelter. Why let good food go to waste when someone else can eat it.

If you have to make room for all those gifts and clothing your family got over the Holidays, then clean out your closets and give the clothing that doesn’t fit or that you haven’t worn in 6 months! If you haven’t worn it in six months the odds are you probably will never wear it. This is something I do every year. I often feel ashamed finding clothing in my closet with the tags still on. I know that these items can go to someone who will actually need and use them. It’s also like my early Spring cleaning and I feel so gratified knowing that I’m doing something to try to help others. You can take the clothes to your local Good Will, Red Cross, or shelter. I’m sure they’ll be grateful for the donations. You can also do this with old toys your kids no longer play with. Give the toys to toys for tots as I’m sure there are children who would love to play with them! There is a lot you can do to give right in your own home. You just have to take the time to do it! Hope this helps you to figure out how you want to give! How do you think you can give on a budget?

You can find more great ideas from Vanessa at The Queen of Swag.

1. alissa apel January 26, 2012 at 2:21 pm - Reply

I should totally donate some of my items.

2. Shirley January 26, 2012 at 3:56 pm - Reply

I do this already.

3. Peggy January 26, 2012 at 5:19 pm - Reply

I am doing this with my spring cleaning. Thank you for the reminder.

4. Diane Brimmer January 26, 2012 at 8:16 pm - Reply

That is so cool! Love that you don’t let the stuff go to waste and that you are helping out the community as well.

5. Eileen January 27, 2012 at 3:25 am - Reply

Even though times are tough here, I have finally come to the point that we must stop looking at THINGS around our house that are seeming to clutter as something WORTH something…something we can’t part with because we paid $200 for it ten years ago, or that we may need it “someday”. It helped me to clean out our storage area, the kids rooms and closets and between this and getting ready for a baby in the house, we had a garage sale AND had Easter Seals come to take the equivalent of a whole ROOM away to donate. Clothes, toys, furniture, decor. We have to do another push and this time I am simply asking the kids to donate things they know they will not use much. Stop keeping so many things with sentimental value that someone else will get use out of NOW. Thank you for reminding all of us how much we have and how often even though with little still can give something, even if it’s our time and energy.

6. Elizabeth Braun January 27, 2012 at 8:11 am - Reply

We do this every six months and it allows for the excess to go. We donate to goodwill and we also give clothes to a needy family in town that we know will fit their chidren

7. samantha g January 27, 2012 at 4:14 pm - Reply

going to do some cleaning and like the wooden shelf gonna have my husband make me some

8. Mare S January 27, 2012 at 6:41 pm - Reply

Great ideas. We just did a massive purge of the two big walk-in closets in our house and gave about ten bags of clothes to Good Will. Sadly, we’re not near done. Next up are books for the library.

9. Carolyn Ann Colley (Griffith, Smith) January 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm - Reply

This is good advice, I use to take my clothes & some other items to a consignment shop, they would give you a slip to use on your taxes. i still love to get handmmy downs. thanks for the giveaway

10. Angie B. January 28, 2012 at 9:11 pm - Reply

I’m fairly new to the “extreme couponing” thing but I’m learning. I already have it planned that when I do start getting a decent stockpile going some of it will be donated. I know some of the local nursing homes will take toiletry items and some clothes too. At least they do near me

11. John Onstott January 29, 2012 at 12:56 am - Reply

I use coupons and stock up my 9yr old loves to get a bag full ready to take to our local food bank

12. Denise Taylor-Dennis January 29, 2012 at 10:29 am - Reply

Great ideas for giving to others we all have somethings we don’t need and are probably not using.

13. Suzanne Deleon January 29, 2012 at 7:55 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for posting this! My family already donates what we can. I can’t help but think that if each one of us can give a little from our overflow of blessings, that there would be less needy. So much is wasted in our country. By just helping a little, like donating a gently used coat or pair of shoes, or using our coupons to get freebies that we can donate will make a big difference.

14. Cynthia Deleon January 30, 2012 at 10:14 am - Reply

There is a church very close to where I live and Ive often donated items there. Makes me happy knowing its going to someone in need and not just a dumpster somewhere

15. sandy weinstein February 5, 2012 at 11:48 am - Reply

i donate lots of dog food and toys and other items for pets to the spca food bank and rescues…i use coupons to get free or discounted food for the food bank.
    i feed my “children” special diets and i dont use commercial dog foods b/c of all of the problems…i even send away for samples of food and treats to donate..

i also donate many old clothes, when my mother passed away i donated over $5,000.00 worth of clothes, toiletries, etc. to the women’s shelter.