Hand Print Flowers Valentines Day Craft (For The Whole Family)

Posted on Feb 2 2012 - 4:12am by Heather Brummett
Hey all, it’s Molly from Just a Little Creativity here again to share a Valentine’s family keepsake you can make with your little ones.
This is a simple little project that involves every one in the family, and one of my most favorite things, hand prints. I wish I’d made one of these when my kids were younger with smaller hands, but it’s still precious to see their unique prints no matter how big they are!
Materials:
  • A canvas (I used a pre-primed 16×20)
  • Craft paint in your color choice
  • Paint pens or markers
Instructions:
  1. Paint your child’s hand, one at a time, and press it onto your canvas.
  2. To make the heart shape, you’ll overlap the hand prints. Try lining up the middle finger on each hand when you make the print.
  3. When the hand prints are dry, use your paint pen or marker and sketch whimsical stems. For extra whimsy, I added polka dots, and outlined the hand prints.
To remember whose flower was whose, I flipped over the canvas and wrote each of my kids names on the back with a pencil, as well as the date of the project. This will be one you’ll want to pull out each Valentine’s Day for years to come!

Project Variation Ideas:

• Have Mom and Dad include their hand print flowers.
  • Use a thumbprint to make small buds or even smaller heart shaped flowers.
  • Print the hand print hearts onto construction paper, fold it in half, and make a Valentine’s card for a family member or friend.
  • When the prints are dry, let the kids use the markers and decorate the hearts with a face, arms, and legs instead of into flowers.
  • For more than one child, print the hearts on individual canvases instead of one large one.
  • Start when your child is young on a large canvas, and add a new heart each year to see how their hands have grown.

1. Marlena Curley February 2, 2012 at 8:53 am - Reply

That is adorable! And it may even be easy enough for me to do. I’m not very crafty! Thanks for sharing

2. anna middlebrook February 2, 2012 at 9:10 am - Reply

I am a preschoo teacher and this will be one of out crafts as a class next week THANK YOU!!!

3. Dani Jones February 2, 2012 at 11:11 am - Reply

I LOVE it, I am going to do it with my kids this weekend.

4. Shirley February 2, 2012 at 11:59 am - Reply

Great idea.

5. Sarah L February 2, 2012 at 12:06 pm - Reply

That is such a clever idea. I like the suggestion of doing one every year as they grow up.

6. Cheryl V February 2, 2012 at 6:31 pm - Reply

I love this, such a cute idea! I will have to try this with my family and save it to use when I go back to teaching>

7. susan February 2, 2012 at 7:02 pm - Reply

What a cute idea. Thanks for sharing. I think we’ll need to give it a try.

8. Julie Witt February 3, 2012 at 9:00 am - Reply

What a great idea! I’m a homeschooling mom and I’ve been searching for some fun Valentine’s Day crafts to do in school, and this is definitely one of the keepers! Anything having to do with getting paint on you seems to appeal to my son (LOL) so I know he’s going to love this craft, and his father will love getting the Valentine’s Day card we’re going to make him using this technique! Thanks so much for sharing:)

9. Gina H. February 4, 2012 at 2:47 am - Reply

This is so cute! I’m going to do it next week!

10. Kerri Owens February 6, 2012 at 1:25 pm - Reply

This is so sweet! Nothing better than “freezing” those hand OR footprints to see years later! Love it!

11. desiree February 6, 2012 at 7:21 pm - Reply

i like the idea o f the craft and then i am going
    to send it to friend

12. Cynthia DeLeon February 8, 2012 at 9:58 am - Reply

Oh my goodness! This is super cute and such a great idea! Id like to do this with my kids and give it to my parents,their grandparents. Im sure they would love it!