No More Boring Breakfasts! How to Make Easy Jelly Rolls, Cereal Bars, Egg Casserole & More!

Posted on Feb 6 2012 - 11:04am by deannak

Does anyone else out there hate the ho-hum boring nature of breakfast? I mean really, how many eggs, stacks of pancakes, or yogurt can one person be expected to eat?

B.O.R.I.N.G.

I personally get sick of the same old breakfast routines so I try to find new, exciting recipes to liven up the breakfast table. Like a hearty and colorful scrabbled egg, filled with green, red, and yellow peppers, and melted cheese. Serve this with some oranges and toast and your belly will be thanking you!

Or how about an egg casserole to open your eyes in the morning?

Oh yea…with a little preparation the night before, you can achieve breakfast nirvana! Brown 1 pound of sausage and let cool. Add to it, 6 eggs, beaten, 2 ½ cups of milk, 2 cups of shredded cheese, 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, drained, and 8 slices of bread, cubed. Pour mixture into a greased baking dish. Mix ½ cup of milk with a can of cream of mushroom soup and pour over the top. Sprinkle a cup of cheese over everything, cover with foil, and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, bake casserole at 350 for 1 ½ hours and enjoy!

Maybe you are looking for something to accompany your boring eggs? Try this sausage breakfast thingy. You will not be disappointed!

In a hurry and need something fast? Skip the drive thru and make these instead.

These are ridiculously easy jelly rolls. Forget the fact that they don’t look great and focus on the fact that there will be a party in your mouth! Dip the sides and tops of buttermilk biscuits in melted butter. Make a well in the middle and fill with your favorite jelly preserves. Bake according to the biscuit directions and let them cool before eating.

Or try these make-ahead cereal bars. These are a hit with picky preschool taste buds!

Thanks to my friend Shelly, these bars have saved the “I’ve got a busy day and no time to waste on making breakfast” feeling! Make them the night before (in a snap) and toss them in baggies so everyone in the family can quickly grab – and go!

And you know I am going to save the best for last. For a crowd pleaser, try these Cinnamon Rolls!

Oh. My. Goodness.

Once you eat these mouth-watering cinnamon rolls, you will never go back to popping open a tube of Pillsbury again!

Homemade goodness friends! How will you wake up your breakfast menu this week?

Keepin’ it Real…D

by: D (Deanna) of SpotLight316 Ministries

I am Deanna. All my friends call me D, so you can too! I am a wife, mom, and friend who wears many different hats. My primary role is that of wife and mom. I found the proverbial “beauty from ashes” in my own broken world and it is these very struggles that drive me to provide a space for others to fully express themselves and grow in the grace of God.

1. Chrissy powell February 6, 2012 at 12:14 pm - Reply

I need this so bad!! I struggle with ideas

• Deanna February 6, 2012 at 8:28 pm - Reply

I struggle with ideas sometimes too. I hate to get in a rut – especially with “the most important meal of the day.” I’m glad you liked these simple ideas. More to come…stay tuned! :)

2. Barbara February 6, 2012 at 12:23 pm - Reply

I too look for something different to serve for breakfast…this doesn’t take up too much of my hurried time in the morning :-)

• Deanna February 6, 2012 at 8:30 pm - Reply

I am not a morning person so I try to look for simple fixes in the morning for my not-so-functioning self. Let me know how you like them!

3. jenn February 6, 2012 at 6:29 pm - Reply

Awesome i sometimes forget there is more to breakfast than just cereal eggs or pancakes

• Deanna February 6, 2012 at 8:31 pm - Reply

My teenager tends to remind me – haha!

4. Leslie G. February 6, 2012 at 7:55 pm - Reply

I love eggs so much more when they have veggies in them. Sometimes I use the frozen hashbrowns that come with onions and peppers in them if I’m in a hurry.

Thanks for the great post!

• Deanna February 6, 2012 at 8:32 pm - Reply

I love the flavor of red and yellow peppers – and I love the hashbrowns idea! Great shortcut and even extra yumminess! :)

5. Kristin Wheeler (MamaLuvsBooks) February 6, 2012 at 8:25 pm - Reply

These look GREAT!!! Pinned it too! My kids will love them!

• Deanna February 6, 2012 at 8:34 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing the love Kristin! These are some of my family’s favorites.

6. Donna B. February 6, 2012 at 10:32 pm - Reply

YUM! I’m seriously drooling right now. Thanks for sharing these.

7. Sarah L February 7, 2012 at 12:49 am - Reply

The biscuits are so easy (just not too often)

8. susan February 7, 2012 at 1:31 am - Reply

I am loving the Cinnamon Rolls! I have been in a rut and I appreciate all of the new ideas.

9. Stephanie Hirsch February 7, 2012 at 7:30 am - Reply

Yum! This sounds great!

10. angela dupree February 7, 2012 at 8:47 am - Reply

Looks and sounds so YUMMY!

11. jose gueits February 7, 2012 at 11:20 am - Reply

this is great it look delicous

12. Leland Dantzler February 7, 2012 at 1:09 pm - Reply

Love the ease of these!

13. Wendi February 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm - Reply

thanks for posting this! I am going to try the night before bar thingys for my kids.

14. Marlena Curley February 8, 2012 at 8:33 am - Reply

Thanks for these. They look great! I’m planning on trying that egg casserole this saturday for sure. Looks delish

15. Tammy February 8, 2012 at 9:07 am - Reply

Breakfast is my favorite meal. Where can I find these recipes?

16. Shirley February 8, 2012 at 11:36 am - Reply

They look delicious.

17. cindy mckean February 8, 2012 at 2:13 pm - Reply

Thanks!! I am always looking for new recipe ideas. I can’t wait to try these!! They look delicious!!

18. Tauna Watt February 8, 2012 at 6:12 pm - Reply

Love how the breakfast ideas an reciped I look forward to using these in the near future!

Thanks,
    Tauna

19. Maggie February 11, 2012 at 3:17 am - Reply

That looks really delicious, I personally love the taste of eggs but sometimes scrambled eggs make me feel sick when I eat them in the morning. I’m thinking the egg casserole might be something I’d want to eat in the morning :) and if I still feel sick I can always make it in the afternoon for lunch :D

20. sheri grennille March 1, 2012 at 6:07 am - Reply

posts like this one are why i love pinterest – so many good ideas! thanks!

21. Amy Orvin March 3, 2012 at 4:56 pm - Reply

All of this looks fabulous!!
    Thanks for sharing the review.

2dogs5catscrew@att.net

22. Crystal Epperson March 5, 2012 at 9:39 am - Reply

Love these! I will definitely be trying this!

23. Donna B. March 8, 2012 at 10:28 pm - Reply

I think I may try to make cinnamon rolls this weekend – I’ve been craving them all week!

24. linda r March 10, 2012 at 10:49 am - Reply

Thank you for the ideas and recipes! Going to try this weekend