Looking Lovely On Less: Reuse & Reinvent That Little Black Dress

Posted on Feb 23 2012 - 1:27pm by Heather Brummett
As I was rummaging my closet thru my unpacked boxes from our recent move, I realized that my “closet” was begging for some pieces that could really revamp my wardrobe. I got to thinking about pieces that would be considered “my basics,” meaning items in my closet that would be easy to mix and match and can be worn a multitude of ways.

I know buying a plain dress or even a white button-up blouse doesn’t sound terribly exciting right? But imagine if you styled them an infinite number of ways, it opens up a world of possibilities. Not just for your wardrobe, but also for your wallet.

Worthington dress

Dallas Stylist, Valerie Elizabeth’s “Little Black Dress Experimentillustrates how easy it is to reuse and reinvent one piece of clothing, that you might already have in your closet. Want to look chic without spending a fortune? I know I do!!

Elizabeth wore the same dress for 30 days. By using different accessories, shoes and lots of different layers, she was able to create a new look each day of the challenge!! Wowza! I am not advocating wearing the same article of clothing for an entire month, because I don’t think I would be up for such a challenge, but I encourage you to look thru the above experiment for inspiration on getting maximum mileage out of great basics.

So thru my closet I went, and realized I didn’t even own a LBD aka Little Black Dress (insert shameful face here). Do you? So I am definitely on the hunt for one. For now I put together some outfits below after finding this perfect little number.

Here’s some ways I would style the above dress. Remember by post last month about using your dress as a shirt? Boo-yah!

And I am so crushing on Coral for Spring that I had to use it! I added some black leggings underneath the dress and a fun stretchy top and flats for running errands WITH my sprouts. I can totally see myself being able to use this outfit to an impromptu run to the park, which is an extra bonus!

LBD Experiment

Wish me luck on my LBD hunt, and look for a future post styling it.
Do you own a LBD dress? How have you styled it in the past? Feel free to leave links in the comments or email me at jandmseyecandy@hotmail.com. I would love to feature you!

Written by Living on Love and Cents Contributor Kristine. Kristine is wifey to Nate, and Momma to their two M&M girls. She enjoys laughing and living life! She blogs mostly about her ramblings as a Stay at home Momma, with some crafting, fashion, and a little bit of sarcasm on the side. You can read all about Kristine and her family’s adventures at The Foley Family – Unedited.

1. Cat February 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm - Reply

Cute! I have 3(!) LBDs but none of them look that great on their own (in fact, I barely fit in one post-kids) – thanks for the tips on how to give them new life.

2. Desiree Trzaska February 24, 2012 at 1:50 am - Reply

I love this idea! That peachy color is awesome! Most definitely going to try and mix and match stuff with all my black dresses now!

3. jen February 24, 2012 at 12:51 pm - Reply

Looking for the follow up to your experience with “It Works” body wraps from August… please email me the details… Thanks!!!

4. Kathy February 26, 2012 at 7:10 pm - Reply

Heather,

Amy,

Woot! Woot! Look at you girl! Missed hearing from you the last couple of days so I hope all is well. I am stopping by to award you the Sunshine Award for all you do to shine light into this blog world of mine. You can see the full details here. Thank you for your faith in me over the last couple of months. It means a lot.

Kathy

5. Jill A. Collins February 28, 2012 at 8:10 am - Reply

Love adding some color to a LBD! It can brighten up any occassion where the LBD is required!

6. Tammy S February 28, 2012 at 9:15 am - Reply

I can’t imagine wearing the same dress for 30 days. I don’t think I could keep coming up with new looks. I love the ideas that you show for changing up the look of the LBD.

7. Marlena Curley February 28, 2012 at 11:27 am - Reply

I really love the idea of putting the LBD with the pretty coral colors! I can definately see myself in something like that… Of course I first need to go get my own LBD :)

8. Jo-Ann Brightman February 28, 2012 at 11:30 am - Reply

I love what she did – gives me some great ideas

9. Shirley February 28, 2012 at 2:48 pm - Reply

Wow, that experiment is eye opening.

10. Julie B. February 28, 2012 at 2:59 pm - Reply

What great ideas, I’m definitely have to put these ideas to use, thanks for the informative post!

11. Miranda Welle February 28, 2012 at 5:46 pm - Reply

Great ideas! LOVE the styles posted!

12. sandy weinstein February 29, 2012 at 10:25 am - Reply

i have several black dresses, most are “cocktail”, however, some you can dress up or down with accessories….always a good thing to have in your closet. some i have had for many, many yrs and they never go out of style.

13. Cujo March 1, 2012 at 8:59 am - Reply

My wife likes the ideas you’ve posted here. I think they are pretty, too.

14. Marcie W. March 1, 2012 at 11:24 am - Reply

I love these ideas! I prefer a plain dress and then different accessories to make it look different each time.

15. Laura March 1, 2012 at 12:18 pm - Reply

This is such a great post! I never dress up after having the baby. Thanks for the tips!

16. blue racer March 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm - Reply

I don’t think I own a lbd. I rarely dress up these days anyway, but those are some cute ideas.

17. Leslie Galloway March 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm - Reply

I need to remember to accessorize… it really does make all the difference. Thanks for reminding me. I haven’t been watching enough What not to Wear lately.

18. Donna B. March 2, 2012 at 10:04 pm - Reply

I need a new LBD – my old one is now too big :(

19. Krista U. March 3, 2012 at 1:03 pm - Reply

I really love the purple coordinate! Such a nice pop of color with out being overwhelming =)

20. Ely Aguilera March 3, 2012 at 3:04 pm - Reply

Wow!!! I really need a LBD I don’t have any.

21. Elise March 6, 2012 at 9:18 pm - Reply

My wardrobe could use an update – this is a great idea!

22. Minta March 7, 2012 at 10:54 am - Reply

My wardrobe could use a serious update also..I buy for the kids but I never buy for me. I love the peach color, so pretty.
    Minta

23. Carolina Dhabolt March 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm - Reply

Great tips! Thank you for posting.

24. Kimberly C Dickerson March 8, 2012 at 9:35 pm - Reply

I have a LBD and I always alternate accessories/color schemes to keep it from looking boring :) Great tips!

25. Toni Allen March 9, 2012 at 10:14 pm - Reply

thanks for the tips for my LBD
    tmarie56@hotmail.com

26. Jan Messali March 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm - Reply

I love the LBD that’s accessorized with purple. Great combo!

27. susan March 10, 2012 at 2:20 am - Reply

Thanks for the ideas! I am yet to find that LBD that does it all. I can’t wait to hear how your hunt goes too.

28. Diane K March 10, 2012 at 5:03 am - Reply

Very helpful.

29. sandy weinstein March 11, 2012 at 11:30 pm - Reply

i have several black dresses, have had some for over 20-30 yrs, cocktail ones, you can dress up/down black dresses w/ accessories and shoes. some you can wear as jumpers, put a blazer on for work and go out at night by changing accessories and shoes.

30. Amanda Herren March 11, 2012 at 11:48 pm - Reply

Love this post, I have several black dresses and I have been looking for ways to make them look different etc!! Thanks!

31. Teri H March 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm - Reply

That is a lot of options for one dress! Thanks for sharing

32. Kathy Smith March 12, 2012 at 6:44 pm - Reply

Thanks for the tips…. Oh my husband say thanks too!

33. Crunchy Beach Mama March 14, 2012 at 7:58 am - Reply

Love the coral!

34. Bridget Hopper March 14, 2012 at 5:52 pm - Reply

Every woman needs a little black dress.

35. kirsten klink rodrigue March 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm - Reply

This is brilliant! Thank you for showing me new ways to wear this!

36. Kristine @the foley fam March 16, 2012 at 11:59 am - Reply

Just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone for leaving your comments!! I appreciate each one!!

37. Jennifer March 18, 2012 at 1:31 pm - Reply

AWESOME POST THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL INFO:)

38. Brittany W. March 18, 2012 at 4:19 pm - Reply

Great ideas! :)

39. tami s March 29, 2012 at 4:22 pm - Reply

Same dress for 30 days–even if accessorized, I would feel weird, but good for her that she could do it. This make me think that I should be going thru my closet to see what I can repurpose for different occasions.