Painting With Kids: How to make Scratch Art (Fun & Frugal For Kids)

Each week we bring you a fun craft or activity for the kids. These can be done with little out of pocket money and a lot of creativity. This week’s fun and frugal activity is brought to us by Molly from Just a Little Creativity .

Hi! It’s Molly from Just a Little Creativity, here with another fun painting project you can do with your little ones.
Remember being in art class in school, and making scratch art with crayons?
You colored with all your crayons in your box, covered the entire page with black, then used a stylus tool to “scratch” the black to make a design.
This painting project is very similar.
-First, using a wood board (I found mine at the Dollar Store) have your  child paint the entire area with a variety of colors.
-When it’s dry, use stickers or vinyl to cover some of the colorful painted area. I used an “All You Need is Love” cutout I made from my Silhouette machine. If you don’t have a machine, you could use Con-Tact paper as a sticker. Just find a design or words you like, trace them onto the Con-Tact paper and cut it out.
Next, have your child paint over the entire board, including the stickers, with black.
Think of the sticker as a reverse stencil. When the black is dry, carefully pull off the stickers.

The areas that the stickers covered now pop out against the black.

This is a simple project with a big result, that your youngster will be proud of creating, and you’ll be proud to hang in your home.

Comments

1. susan hartman says

I babysit a lot and am always thinking about things to do with the children. Actually I thought about acratch art but couldn’t remember the details on how to do it. Thank you

2. Leslie Galloway says

That’s cool… never thought about doing it that way instead of scratching away. Maybe I’ll have to get out the cricut :)

3. Julie B. says

I have never seen this before, nor would have thought about it – great idea! Have to try this one, thanks so much!

4. Krista U. says

This is such a fun idea! I like how you don’t need a ton of supplies either, some craft projects can get so expensive!

5. Tiffiny Palm says

Wow! This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing, always looking for something fun to do with the kids!

6. Chelsea Saulpaugh says

I do this project with the kids I volunteer with at our local hospital. It is very portable, clean(ish), and easy to do.

7. says

Hi there, You have performed an incredible job. I’ll certainly digg it and in my opinion suggest to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this web site.