Painting With Kids: How to make Scratch Art (Fun & Frugal For Kids)

Posted on Feb 23 2012 - 1:20pm by Heather Brummett

Each week we bring you a fun craft or activity for the kids. These can be done with little out of pocket money and a lot of creativity. This week’s fun and frugal activity is brought to us by Molly from Just a Little Creativity .

Hi! It’s Molly from Just a Little Creativity, here with another fun painting project you can do with your little ones.
Remember being in art class in school, and making scratch art with crayons?
You colored with all your crayons in your box, covered the entire page with black, then used a stylus tool to “scratch” the black to make a design.
This painting project is very similar.
-First, using a wood board (I found mine at the Dollar Store) have your  child paint the entire area with a variety of colors.
-When it’s dry, use stickers or vinyl to cover some of the colorful painted area. I used an “All You Need is Love” cutout I made from my Silhouette machine. If you don’t have a machine, you could use Con-Tact paper as a sticker. Just find a design or words you like, trace them onto the Con-Tact paper and cut it out.
Next, have your child paint over the entire board, including the stickers, with black.
Think of the sticker as a reverse stencil. When the black is dry, carefully pull off the stickers.

The areas that the stickers covered now pop out against the black.

This is a simple project with a big result, that your youngster will be proud of creating, and you’ll be proud to hang in your home.

1. susan hartman February 28, 2012 at 11:56 am - Reply

I babysit a lot and am always thinking about things to do with the children. Actually I thought about acratch art but couldn’t remember the details on how to do it. Thank you

2. jolene February 28, 2012 at 12:25 pm - Reply

Amazing idea! thanks!

3. Jennifer Reyer Young February 28, 2012 at 1:12 pm - Reply

This is a GREAT idea, I can’t wait to try it!!

4. Stephanie Mago-Eagle February 28, 2012 at 8:17 pm - Reply

Oh that is so cool will have to try that with my daughter I am a artist I love to paint.

5. Jennifer Hedden February 28, 2012 at 9:54 pm - Reply

This is so neat. I will definitely have to try this with my nieces. Thank you for sharing!

6. Leslie Galloway February 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm - Reply

That’s cool… never thought about doing it that way instead of scratching away. Maybe I’ll have to get out the cricut :)

7. Shirley February 29, 2012 at 2:57 pm - Reply

Awesome idea.

8. Deb March 1, 2012 at 12:27 am - Reply

AWesome idea

9. Irma Hernandez March 1, 2012 at 10:33 am - Reply

This looks like alot of fun and I know my kids and I will enjoy it…Thanks

10. Marti Parks March 1, 2012 at 3:51 pm - Reply

Really nice art.

11. Tammy S March 1, 2012 at 9:09 pm - Reply

This looks like a ton of fun. Thanks!

12. Rachael H. March 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm - Reply

Wow that is so cute!!! Thank you!

13. Marcie W. March 2, 2012 at 11:35 am - Reply

Cheap, easy, and bright for spring. I LOVE IT!

14. Mrs. Smitty March 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Ohh so simple and so many possibilities! My kids would LOVE this activity! Thanks for the idea!

15. Julie B. March 2, 2012 at 8:03 pm - Reply

I have never seen this before, nor would have thought about it – great idea! Have to try this one, thanks so much!

16. Marlena Curley March 2, 2012 at 8:05 pm - Reply

Very cute, thanks… my kids will have tons of fun with this!

17. Jo-Ann Brightman March 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm - Reply

This is a great idea. I remember scratch art from when I was young

18. Elizabeth Owens March 3, 2012 at 5:08 pm - Reply

What a cool project! It looks so simple yet fun

19. Crystal Epperson March 3, 2012 at 8:08 pm - Reply

This is awesome!

20. Krista U. March 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm - Reply

This is such a fun idea! I like how you don’t need a ton of supplies either, some craft projects can get so expensive!

21. Tian Hapsari March 4, 2012 at 4:14 pm - Reply

Great idea, since spring is in the corner! can’t wait to do it with my daughter, :)

22. Megan March 6, 2012 at 12:27 am - Reply

ill have to try it! :-)

Thank you!!!

23. Kathy Smith March 6, 2012 at 10:43 am - Reply

Oh how Fun!!!

24. Jillian Rueter March 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm - Reply

This is such a cute and fun idea! Great step by step instructions too! Thank you for sharing.

25. Cathy March 7, 2012 at 9:12 pm - Reply

Love this project! Thanks for the great idea!

26. Donna Evans March 8, 2012 at 7:59 am - Reply

Love this art work. My grandchildren will love doing it . Thanks for the great idea.

27. Nels A. March 8, 2012 at 10:38 am - Reply

Very cool!

28. Shantelle Rogers March 9, 2012 at 9:04 am - Reply

This is to cool. Gonna have to try it soon.

29. Gricelda Castro March 9, 2012 at 11:50 am - Reply

Amazing Idea, gonna have to try it with my kids.

30. Stephanie Olmsted March 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm - Reply

WOW this looks fun. I think my daughters would love this!

31. Tian Hapsari March 10, 2012 at 2:21 pm - Reply

Spring is around the corner, it such a fun idea for my daughter!

32. Tiffiny Palm March 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm - Reply

Wow! This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing, always looking for something fun to do with the kids!

33. Trasina Lynn McGahey March 10, 2012 at 3:43 pm - Reply

How fun! I love this stuff!

34. Jude Skocki Kelly March 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm - Reply

this is awesome. my kids love different paint projects. thanks for sharing

35. Stephanie Mago-Eagle March 12, 2012 at 10:00 am - Reply

That looks like so much fun for the kids & also the parents…Will have to try this out

36. mike baker March 12, 2012 at 10:52 am - Reply

great idea. always looking for kids crafts.

37. glo March 31, 2012 at 6:48 pm - Reply

Thanks for a great idea. i am always looking for ways to keep a 3 year old busy.

38. Chelsea Saulpaugh March 31, 2012 at 8:03 pm - Reply

I do this project with the kids I volunteer with at our local hospital. It is very portable, clean(ish), and easy to do.

39. fotolia June 21, 2012 at 1:49 am - Reply

Hi there, You have performed an incredible job. I’ll certainly digg it and in my opinion suggest to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this web site.