Adding Fruit To Your Diet + Fun Things You Can Do With Fruit!

Posted on Mar 14 2012 - 10:34am by deannak

Last week, we talked about the benefits of veggies. Today, we are going to look at the reasons why we should also include fruits in our diet. Before we get to some yummy recipes, check out these compelling reasons to make them!

• Fruits are a low-cal, low fat option. They provide the natural sugar our bodies need, a good source of fiber, and of course, oodles of vitamins!

• Fruits are a great source of antioxidants which help protect our body from stress and disease. When you eat blue fruits, you increase the effects.

• Research shows that eating two to five servings of the “healthiest fruits” can help you reduce the risk of diseases such as stroke, diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers.

• Don’t forget the fruit of the month club.

There are fun things that you can do with fruit, so let’s take a look at some of our options.

If you want a quick snack, scoop out some cottage cheese and top with peaches. Pineapple is yummy too!

You can whip up a bowl of fruit salad in a jiffy – the perfect complement to many meals.

Open a can of mixed fruit and a can of mandarin oranges and dump them into a bowl, juice and all. Mix in some bananas and cherries. Add in a package of vanilla pudding and stir it all together. Refrigerate before serving.

Tempt your taste buds with some incredible blueberry muffins or indulge in a healthy piece of banana cake.

Photobucket Photobucket
Main dishes can have fruit too! Try this simple pork marinade – you won’t regret it!
Come back next week to find some more of my favorite fruit and veggie recipes before we tackle another food group!

What are your favorite fruit recipes?

Keepin’ it Real…D

1. Brandi Price March 14, 2012 at 12:28 pm - Reply

Some things you just never think of! LOL Thanks! The fruit salad sounds great!

2. Shirley March 14, 2012 at 4:20 pm - Reply

I love fruit. Fun ideas.

3. Crystal Epperson March 14, 2012 at 6:57 pm - Reply

Very fun ideas!

4. Samantha L March 14, 2012 at 9:44 pm - Reply

I love it! Kids are much more likely to eat fruit when it looks good like in a muffin!

5. Lois Watson March 14, 2012 at 10:04 pm - Reply

Thanks for the great ideas!!

6. Marlena Curley March 15, 2012 at 11:48 am - Reply

I love to use apples and pineapples with chicken or pork… yum!

7. Marcie W. March 15, 2012 at 11:49 am - Reply

I LOVE fruit with cottage cheese and have been eating it since I was a little kid!

8. Jennifer Hedden March 15, 2012 at 2:41 pm - Reply

These are some great tips. I have never had banana cake, but would love the recipe for this. Thank you for sharing this post!

9. Lyn March 15, 2012 at 8:24 pm - Reply

In the produce section they have plastic containers of grapefruit and orange sections that I love! Either eat them alone or with a salad or avocado. And the packages with the orange sections are sweeter than just the grapefruit alone.

10. Diane K. Brimmer March 16, 2012 at 7:57 am - Reply

Wow I guess I didn’t realize how important fruit plays in your health. Thanks for sharing.

11. Gianna March 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm - Reply

I am always making blueberry muffins, yum!

12. Leslie Galloway March 16, 2012 at 7:43 pm - Reply

Glad I’m not the only one who loves pineapple and cottage cheese!! My hubby looks at me like I’m nuts when I eat it. It’s so good though.

13. Dina J March 16, 2012 at 8:52 pm - Reply

I love the post and agree that fruit is an essential part of a healthy diet! I have always loved peaches or pineapple in my cottage cheese. Yummy!

14. Jenna Parsons March 16, 2012 at 10:02 pm - Reply

Great ideas! I am so lucky that my kids love fruit! They prefer fruit and veggies over cookies.

15. Jude Skocki Kelly March 17, 2012 at 1:42 am - Reply

I love fresh fruit in a salad with a light raspberry vinegarette dressing. The sweetness of the fruit with the bitterness of greens is just so awesome

16. Maura March 17, 2012 at 12:04 pm - Reply

I love fruit and so does my family. Great ideas.

17. Jo-Ann Brightman March 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm - Reply

I use fruit a lot in desserts. I have to try them with meats too

18. Stacy March 17, 2012 at 3:34 pm - Reply

Those look great! Cottage cheese with peaches is an old favorite!

19. Kat March 18, 2012 at 9:45 am - Reply

I have experimented a lot with fruits in meals and desserts, and it really is something that will be seen in our meals almost everyday. Preparing them is really easy and it really makes a meal special in looks and taste!

20. Maria Balmeo March 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm - Reply

we love fresh fruits at our house. Fun ideas
    (cottage cheese with blueberry is my fav)

21. CaySedai March 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm - Reply

I love pineapple on my Canadian bacon pizza – it’s just not the same without it.

22. April March 19, 2012 at 2:30 am - Reply

I need more fruit in my diet, thanks for the ideas!

23. Tian H. March 19, 2012 at 10:14 am - Reply

Such a great idea, I love fruit and I would love to give it a try! thank you! :)

24. sandy weinstein March 19, 2012 at 4:49 pm - Reply

i love fruit, so do my 3 legged girls. dr. oz is always talking abt how much fruit you should eat a day. i love clementines and apples, bananas, pineapple. i make a “mush” of crushed pineapple, yogurt and fiber one cereal. i have tons of frozen veggies in my freezer. my girls love no salt stringbeans, mustard greens steamed w/ olive oil, and i make my own kale chips.

25. Tiffany DeOs March 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm - Reply

Thanks for all the fruit ideas. I really need to incorporate more fruits and veggies in my diet.

26. Rena Hyde March 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm - Reply

Love fruit, really need to start eating some more of it. Thanks for the new ideas!

27. trishden March 20, 2012 at 7:42 pm - Reply

Yes, I love fruit. Some good sugestions. My dad ever since I was little and that was a long time ago ate fruit and cottage cheese. Thanks!

28. Keri VanNuland March 25, 2012 at 8:35 pm - Reply

What about bananas? I’ve heard opposing views.

29. Jennifer Wilkerson March 25, 2012 at 9:52 pm - Reply

These ideas come just in time for my husband and I who have been on Weight Watchers for a couple of weeks now. (don’t ask me how many times this makes) Fruit is “free” on Weight Watchers!! The Fruit of the Month club idea is awesome because it makes you look forward to your next box of goodies and they’re usually the best of whatever is in season and being offered that month! Kudos!

30. Deb Kovac March 26, 2012 at 7:58 am - Reply

Thanks for the great ideas to add more Fruit to my diet.

31. Cady Okoh March 26, 2012 at 11:48 am - Reply

This a great article. I love cottage cheese and fruit. Its tangy and sweet all at once!

32. randy fulgham March 27, 2012 at 7:19 pm - Reply

THANKS FOR THE TIPS -I WAS TOLD IF U EAT FRUIT 30MINUTES B-4 A MAIN MEAL IT CURVES YOUR APPITITE……