Adding Fruit To Your Diet + Fun Things You Can Do With Fruit!

Last week, we talked about the benefits of veggies. Today, we are going to look at the reasons why we should also include fruits in our diet. Before we get to some yummy recipes, check out these compelling reasons to make them!

• Fruits are a low-cal, low fat option. They provide the natural sugar our bodies need, a good source of fiber, and of course, oodles of vitamins!

• Fruits are a great source of antioxidants which help protect our body from stress and disease. When you eat blue fruits, you increase the effects.

• Research shows that eating two to five servings of the “healthiest fruits” can help you reduce the risk of diseases such as stroke, diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers.

• Don’t forget the fruit of the month club.

There are fun things that you can do with fruit, so let’s take a look at some of our options.

If you want a quick snack, scoop out some cottage cheese and top with peaches. Pineapple is yummy too!

You can whip up a bowl of fruit salad in a jiffy – the perfect complement to many meals.

Open a can of mixed fruit and a can of mandarin oranges and dump them into a bowl, juice and all. Mix in some bananas and cherries. Add in a package of vanilla pudding and stir it all together. Refrigerate before serving.

Tempt your taste buds with some incredible blueberry muffins or indulge in a healthy piece of banana cake.

Photobucket Photobucket
Main dishes can have fruit too! Try this simple pork marinade – you won’t regret it!
Come back next week to find some more of my favorite fruit and veggie recipes before we tackle another food group!

What are your favorite fruit recipes?

Keepin’ it Real…D

Comments

1. Jennifer Hedden says

These are some great tips. I have never had banana cake, but would love the recipe for this. Thank you for sharing this post!

2. Lyn says

In the produce section they have plastic containers of grapefruit and orange sections that I love! Either eat them alone or with a salad or avocado. And the packages with the orange sections are sweeter than just the grapefruit alone.

3. Leslie Galloway says

Glad I’m not the only one who loves pineapple and cottage cheese!! My hubby looks at me like I’m nuts when I eat it. It’s so good though.

4. says

I love the post and agree that fruit is an essential part of a healthy diet! I have always loved peaches or pineapple in my cottage cheese. Yummy!

5. Jude Skocki Kelly says

I love fresh fruit in a salad with a light raspberry vinegarette dressing. The sweetness of the fruit with the bitterness of greens is just so awesome

6. says

I have experimented a lot with fruits in meals and desserts, and it really is something that will be seen in our meals almost everyday. Preparing them is really easy and it really makes a meal special in looks and taste!

7. sandy weinstein says

i love fruit, so do my 3 legged girls. dr. oz is always talking abt how much fruit you should eat a day. i love clementines and apples, bananas, pineapple. i make a “mush” of crushed pineapple, yogurt and fiber one cereal. i have tons of frozen veggies in my freezer. my girls love no salt stringbeans, mustard greens steamed w/ olive oil, and i make my own kale chips.

8. Jennifer Wilkerson says

These ideas come just in time for my husband and I who have been on Weight Watchers for a couple of weeks now. (don’t ask me how many times this makes) Fruit is “free” on Weight Watchers!! The Fruit of the Month club idea is awesome because it makes you look forward to your next box of goodies and they’re usually the best of whatever is in season and being offered that month! Kudos!

Trackbacks