Small Investment, Big Impact:
Top Ten Design Tips for the Commitment-Phobe from Kim Myles
Is your place in need of a style update? Apartment Guide has partnered with TV host and design expert Kim Myles for the second annual Apartment Guide “Your Picks. Your Place.” Sweepstakes. Enter daily for a chance to win $10,000 to spend decorating your own space.
Kim Myles, season two winner of HGTV’s “Design Star,” host of her own show “Myles of Style” and designer and décor expert, has created a list of her top ten décor and design tips that are budget-friendly, easy to implement and, for renters, landlord-approved.
1. Use fabric and wallpaper in unexpected ways by framing and hanging pieces to add pops of color and interest to bare walls.
2. Add a big rug to inject color and pattern into a space. Don’t be afraid to put carpet on top of carpet.
3. Divide a room and add color using a folding screen that can also provide extra storage space behind it.
4. Transition your dining area for a dinner party using items on hand. Empty wine bottles and tapered candles can become a DIY candelabra, and flowers or leaves from the outdoors can become instant centerpieces.
5. Choose foundation items like couches in neutral colorsso that you can update your décor easily over time with patterned pillows, colored accent chairs and unique wall art.
6. No headboard? No problem. Create your own using a stenciled canvas or a reclaimed item like an old mantle.
7. Hang shelves from a single bar installed near the ceilingto minimize wall damage and take advantage of vertical storage space.
8. Mirrors should be in everyone’s décor tool kit. Cluster groups of smaller mirrors together on a wall to add glamour without the investment of a big piece.
9. Make furniture work to live in your space.Choose items that provide extra hidden storage and uses, like storage ottomans that double as coffee tables, sleeper sofas and bookcases with bins.
10. Create a floating wall by hanging a floor-to-ceiling curtain from a rod hung from the ceiling, and just one foot out from a bare wall. Fill in the space with shelves or large items such as bikes.
Need additional ideas for your space? Check out the Apartment Guide blog or follow Apartment Guide on Twitteror Facebookfor more tips and inspiration.
Be sure you check out the Apartment Guide “Your Picks, Your Place” Sweepstakes! You can enter daily! It is fun and easy and you could win big!
And to help just start your design makeover we are giving away a $50 American Express Gift Card!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway Disclosure Statement:
Apartment Guide and owner Consumer Source, Inc. partnered with bloggers such as me to participate in their monthly blogger programs. As part of that program, I received compensation. They did not tell me what to purchase or what to say about the products used, and believe that consumers and bloggers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. Consumer Source’s policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, FTC guidelines and social media engagement recommendations. The winner of this giveaway will be randomly chosen and gift card fulfillment will be handled by a third party